Wednesday, February 9, 2011

the heart of the home..

Yes yes, as you may recall we bought a house / moved in last July. There have been a lot of "work in progess" comments made over the last few months, but it finally seems as though we're getting closer to completing things! Like for example, our kitchen.

That was our kitchen before we moved in. As you can see, very retro (as was the theme with our house.. ha) and very.. full.
Now, fast-forward to today!

Isn't that a breath of fresh air? Now you'll have to excuse a few things.. such as the tin-foiled styrofoam on the counter (used for the Cake Pops in the previous post!), the beer bottles, and the couple empty spots where there ought to be false drawer covers.
Here are a few more views of the kitchen;



(Don't you love my cute little curtain? More on that in another post!)

So as you can see, we've made leaps and bounds. I must admit though that most of the work was done the week before we moved our stuff into the house. I spent an entire week (in between working full time) using wood filler, sanding, priming and painting. Unfortunately it was a project we had to scrap for awhile because it became apparent we wouldn't get it done before the move-in date we had set. And in all seriousness, after we DID move in I really wasn't in the mood for more painting. My lovely husband finished the cupboard doors for me for Christmas though, and then we were inspired to hurry up and put them on. If you've noticed, they are, in fact, not finished though. From the bumps and bangs and his.. er.. lack of patience with painting (hehe) they need another coat or two of paint -- which will be a lot easier now that they're up. They also still need door handles; which are a brushed nickle effect to match the hinges. As you can probably tell, I'm VERY excited. Here's a look at how I had to live for the last 6 months or so (who even knows any more!)

Yikes! A nice change to have doors, am I right? Not to mention I was able to sort out all the cupboards once I had drawers, therefore making for more space and organization! Hooray!!
But I digress. I really just wanted to show off all our hard work in the kitchen. One thing is for sure.. I would seriously reconsider ever re-finishing cupboards like that again! You have to understand that some of them aren't even in the greatest condition, but we really couldn't afford to replace them. So yes, the kitchen / bakeshop is almost complete!
Oh, and stay close by, I've got more posts to come in the next few days. I've been busy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment